Find more useful information here. First of all, peel the calabash(‘es), Cut into small cubes, rinse & set aside in a bowl/dish. Sprinkle the piping hot shrimp with salt and serve at once with sauce on the side. First of all, peel the calabash(‘es), Cut into small cubes, rinse & set aside in a bowl/dish. Originating in the small town of its namesake–Calabash, North Carolina—this style of fried seafood is iconic to the Grand Strand. I hope you’ll do it today. ★☆ Be sure to check out our other Calabash style seafood recipes here on Taste of Southern. It’s really simple and easy, and they taste awesome. 1/2 teaspoon paprika 1 1/2 pounds medium to large shrimp, peeled and deveined We always used what was known as “popcorn” shrimp. Once the shrimps are fried, remove & set aside. Add in about a cup of water, mix & allow the calabash to cook. Calabash And Shrimp Curry may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can use whole milk instead of evaporated milk. Dip shrimp in batter; remove and place in hot oil. ★☆ Down along the East coast, very close to the North Carolina and South Carolina state line, there is a small little town called Calabash. 1 cup Self Rising Flour Required fields are marked *, Rate this recipe 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined. I’m doing a series of these based on my days at my brothers restaurant. You can also use this batter for fish, scallops, and oysters. I loved to order a seafood platter with a little bit of everything. Beat together eggs and milk. Follow our easy, step-by-step, photo illustrated instructions to learn how to fry golden brown shrimp at home. Start off easy on the salt. From selecting the freshest fruits and vegetables to learning from the region's outstanding chefs, the topics found in this cooking magazine make it an indispensable tool for cooks everywhere. Cookbooks are great for Eastern North Carolina Pulled Pork BBQ in the Oven, Tags: calabash style fried shrimp, easy, evaporated milk, fried fish, fried shrimp, main dishes, quick, seafood, southern, Steve Gordon, Taste of Southern. Calabash Shrimp- these fried shrimp have a light and crispy coating. While you’re here, be sure to sign up for our totally FREE NEWSLETTER. Family Reunions! Toss well to fully coat with milk. In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and evaporated milk. I managed the kitchen for him during the first year or two that it was open. Heat a little vegetable oil in a large pot & fry shrimps for about 5-6 minutes. Smile. Start These are normally served with a choice of baked potato or French fries, a side of Creamy Cole Slaw, and of course, you’ve got to have Southern Hushpuppies. Heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°. Let fry for about 1-2 minutes or until lightly golden brown in color. Keywords: fried shrimp, calabash style fried shrimp, seafood, evaporated milk, fried fish, easy, quick. Featured in the Rising Sun                      Newspaper, 1 long calabash or 3 round calabashes (I have used the round ones). In a shallow bowl, whisk together eggs and evaporated milk. You’d eat several of them at one time, kind of like eating popcorn. You just want a light coating of flour sticking to the shrimp. Peanut oil is best for frying seafood, but it is expensive and sometimes hard to find. What makes the dish so appealing is the light-as-air batter the seafood is coated in. Even now, using this small container seems kind of funny to me. google_ad_client = "ca-pub-5165746306112379"; Share your memories of this dish with us. In a separate shallow bowl, whisk together flour, garlic salt, pepper, and paprika. ★☆ Throughout my childhood, every summer season we vacationed at Holden Seaside, NC and we at all times made Drain the water off of the shrimp once they are thawed and you’re ready to start frying them. I’ll show you how we fried them at my brothers “Captain Gordon’s Seafood Restaurant” some years back. Ready to give our recipe a try? I imagine a lot of restaurants these days fry in Peanut oil. Pour enough milk over the shrimp to coat them well. Learn more about the process to create a cookbook -- or Holiday Gifts, Wedding Gifts, I’ve had the pleasure to eat at several of them. Serve with tartar sauce and/or cocktail sauce. You only need to fry them for a few minutes. The amount of seasoning is perfect. Serve while warm. Powered by Brandeploy google_ad_slot = "4156777732"; I’m using a 61/70 count shrimp here. Pour about 2 inches of oil into a Dutch oven. At the restaurant, we would serve about 500 people every Friday night. Submit a Recipe Correction : Main Courses: Seafood, Poultry, Pasta and Casseroles, Learn more about the process to create a cookbook. Add flour, salt and pepper; stir until smooth. During my childhood, each summer we vacationed at Holden Beach, NC and we always made a trip to Calabash for fried seafood. Fry up a few shrimp to test the oil for frying and to see if you’d like to add more salt to your flour mixture. We used large “bus pans” at the restaurant. The Original thus became the birthplace of this heavenly dish we now know as Calabash seafood. Oil for frying. Calabash Shrimp- these fried shrimp have a light-weight and crispy coating. That was a lot of seafood and fish back in those days because we served a large portion of both on the plates that went out to our customers. Sliver onion & set aside. Try These Other Delicious Seafood recipes: Whisk together eggs and evaporated milk in a shallow bowl. Place a heavy cast iron skillet over medium heat, pour oil Put flour in a shallow baking dish 2.